Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Rules engine for spatial and temporal reasoning?

Programmer Question

I have an application that receives a number of datums that characterize spatial / temporal processes. It then filters these datums and creates actions which are then sent to processes that perform the actions. Rinse and repeat.



At present, I have a collection of custom filters that perform a lot of complicated spatial/temporal calculations.



Many times as I discuss my system to individuals in my company, they ask if I'm using a rules engine.



I have yet to find a rules engine that is able to reason well temporally and spatially. (Things like When are two entities ever close? Is entity A ever in region B? If entity C is near entity D but oriented backwards relative to C then perform action D.)



I have looked at Drools, Cyc, Jess in the past (say 3-4 years ago). It's time to re-examine the state of the art. Any suggestions? Any standards that you know of that support this kind of reasoning? Any defacto standards? Any applications?



Thanks!



Find the answer here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails