Search This Blog

Friday, March 12, 2010

Distributed Lock Service over MySql/GigaSpaces/Netapp

Programmer Question


Disclaimer: I already asked this question, but without the
deployment requirement. I got an
answer that got 3 upvotes, and when I
edited the question to include the deployment requirement the answer then
became irrelevant. The reason I'm
resubmitting is because SO considers
the original question 'answered', even
though I got no meaningful upvoted
answer. I opened a uservoice
submission
about this problem.
The reason I reposted is so StackOverflow consider the original question answered, so it doesn't show up on the 'unanswered questions' tab.




Which distributed lock service would you use?



Requirements are:




  1. A mutual exclusion (lock) that can be seen from different processes/machines

  2. lock...release semantics

  3. Automatic lock release after a certain timeout - if lock holder dies, it will automatically be freed after X seconds

  4. Java implementation

  5. Easy deployment - must not require complicated deployment beyond either Netapp, MySql or GigaSpaces. Must play well with those products (especially GigaSpaces - this is why TerraCotta was ruled out).

  6. Nice to have: .Net implementation

  7. If it's free: Deadlock detection / mitigation



I'm not interested in answers like "it can be done over a database", or "it can be done over JavaSpaces" - I know. Relevant answers should only contain a ready, out-of-the-box, proven implementation.



Find the answer here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails